Buttermilk Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about 3 medium), drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugars, butter and oil. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk; mix well. Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Add zucchini and stir until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
1 piece: 328 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 16, 2018Very moist and tasty. You wouldn't know the zucchini was in there unless someone told you. Your chocolate lovers would really like it as it is very rich and chocolaty. It was very good warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Aug 27, 2014
Good cake. The only change I made was to use about 1 1/4 C chocolate chips, and 1 extra Tbsp of cocoa for a richer, more chocolaty flavor. And I sprinkled 1/3 C chopped walnuts on top with the chocolate chips. It was yummy.