Buttermilk Chocolate Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices, 1/2 cup butter)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in the honey and chocolate syrup. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 246 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
Excellent taste (5 stars on that point) BUT should be 2 loaves or one loaf and maybe a smaller loaf, depending on how thick a loaf preferred—one loaf pan of size in recipe severely overflowed. Been baking for years (since I was 13–so 30 years) and first time ever happened to me. Will make again, but not limiting to one loaf pan.
Jan 23, 2016
I accidentally overmixed the batter for this a bit and it still came out beautifully! I omitted the pecans and added in dark chocolate chips. Next time I will add in some cinnamon. Love this!
Mar 30, 2014
A hit at church breakfast!
Oct 22, 2012
This was a nice addition to a selection of quick breads for brunch.
Sep 2, 2012
I created an account just to review this recipe. I made it since I had some buttermilk that needed to be used today or tossed, and I had all of the other ingredients on hand.The batter was so light, as was the resulting cake, and the chocolate flavor of the cake went so well with the honey butter.I am thrilled to find such an easy and delicious cake.
Feb 28, 2012
More of a bitter-sweet chocolate taste. I made it without the butter spread, but I loved the concept of a bread form. It was pretty good.
Nov 29, 2011
I've made this recipe around the holidays for several years now. It's always been a favorite of my children. I've made the honey butter different ways, because I don't always have chocolate syrup on hand. I've used melted chocolate mixed with corn syrup (till it tasted like chocolate syrup), I've used cocoa powder, and this year I used hot fudge ice cream topping. All substitutions were good! The bread is good with or without the spread. Moist, lightly sweet.
Aug 16, 2011
This is delicious! Moist and tender and freezes very well. I have made this twice now, it is a keeper in my kitchen for certain! Added some milk chocolate chips to the top just for an added touch of sweetness, thanks for the recipe...Mmmmm!
Feb 17, 2010
Very light and tasty!
Mar 23, 2009
This bread was tasty all by it self. Even family members who don't normally like dessert, liked this bread.