- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick). Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool 5-10 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar; spoon over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forButtermilk Cake with Caramel Icing
"The taste was fine, but did it ever stick to the pan. I used flour and shortening and then sprayed it too. It still stuck. I will use an unfluted pan next time and wait 15 minutes before turning it out. Never had a cake to stick so much!!I tried it again and this time I used Baker's Joy and a nonfluted pan. Success."
"The cake was good, but I did make some adjustments based on the comments. I reduced the amount of flour, and the cake was still quite dense, but good! I also added 1 tsp of vanilla and should have added more . I also added a tsp of salt which could have been slightly increased to brighten the flavors. I enjoyed the cake and will make again, although I will probably skip the icing. it wasn't needed and quite heavy. My family preferred the cake with fresh berries served on top."
"4 stars only, and only because it sticks to the pan. I used a silicone pan and cooking spray and I was surprised that it stuck, and stuck bad enough that I couldn't even manipulate the pan to get the cake out whole. I'm going to do shortening and flour next time to grease the pan and hopefully it will come out better. The flavor is everything everyone raved about. This is a keeper."
"What a great cake. Everyone loved it!!"
"Delicious! I sifted the powdered sugar for the icing."
"Can this cake be made in a different type of pan (not fluted)? I had one but didn't use it very often so I gave it away. (I moved recently and had to downsize quite a bit."
"Sugar lumped in icing. Any suggestions? Delicious recipe. I used whole wheat pastry flour which provided real caramelly cake."
"I'm not sure if it was the modification I made to the baking time (I had a dark pan and had to reduce the baking temp and bake it longer), but my cake was not as moist as I was hoping for and ended up with a very hard shell around it. I have to say the batter was yummy! I did like the icing; it had a nice maple flavor. I may buy an aluminum pan and try again; it just wasn't the crowd pleaser I thought it would be."