Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basil bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 99 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Jun 4, 2016
I brush the top crust with butter then wrap the loaf in foil to keep it warm until meal time. I always seem to have a little bit of buttermilk leftover from other recipes and this was great to use that up. I'd definitely make this one again, maybe even just using the dough setting and then forming it and baking it in the oven.
Jan 13, 2012
Apr 2, 2009
How long would I knead this dough and at what temperature and how long would it bake? Sound like a good one to me. grammaberr
Aug 15, 2008
In the directions for Buttermilk bread, do you think you meant to type "Select basic bread setting" instead of basil bread setting? Might be a novice out there that can't make the recipe because they don't have this unusual setting.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.