Buttermilk Blueberry Scookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg until blended; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Form a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in center of each with the back of a spoon coated with cooking spray. Gently press blueberries into indentations; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scookie: 197 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2016
Added fresh zest from one lemon. Used dried blueberries in place of fresh, stirred them right into dough. After baking and cooling, drizzled a glaze made from lemon juice and powdered sugar. These are so good, will serve at the next neighborhood tea. BTW- use your big mixer with whisk attachment to cut in butter. Works the same and easier ! :-)
Feb 1, 2016
I find this idea of making cookies from scone dough very clever! I did substitute frozen whole cranberries as I hadn't the blueberries available. My adjustments were: 1 tsp. salt and 1 Tbsp. ground orange! I'd rolled dough in cinnamon-sugar mixture and used 1/2 cup sugar in the dough. I dropped by tablespoonfuls onto cooking-spray-coated foil-lined baking sheets and baked just 11 minutes at 375o F.I took some to the social hour at my retirement community and shared the balance with our coffee shop. Everyone really enjoyed these scookies and commented on how delicious the flavor was. Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein