When these baked -from-scratch buns alight in a basket, hungry folks will make them disappear fast! CT's crafty home economist loaded the yeast bread dough with pleasing molasses and carrots, then easily shaped it into whimsical winged creatures.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds, optional
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender. Drain; place carrots in a blender or food processor. Add eggs and 1/2 cup warm water; over and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining warm water. add carrot mixture, oil, sugar, molasses, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into twenty-four 3-3/4-in. logs, forty eight 1-in. balls and forty-eight 1-1/2-in. balls. To form butterflies, place logs 5 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-in. slit on one end of log; separate cut ends, forming antennae. Place two small balls on each side of cut end; place a large ball below each small ball so they touch.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg and water; brush over butterflies; bodies. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Butterfly Rolls in Crafting Traditions March/April 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.