VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds, optional
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender. Drain; place carrots in a blender or food processor. Add eggs and 1/2 cup warm water; over and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining warm water. add carrot mixture, oil, sugar, molasses, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into twenty-four 3-3/4-in. logs, forty eight 1-in. balls and forty-eight 1-1/2-in. balls. To form butterflies, place logs 5 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-in. slit on one end of log; separate cut ends, forming antennae. Place two small balls on each side of cut end; place a large ball below each small ball so they touch.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg and water; brush over butterflies; bodies. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Butterfly Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2001, p11