Just in time for May 11 this year come these delicate butterfly confections from Sayreville, New Jersey subscriber Adeline Piscitelle. "They aren't difficult at all to shape," she assure. "They've been a favorite in our family for years. Now, I make them for my grandchildren."
Recommended: 17 Recipes for Easter Cupcakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 40 pieces red and/or black shoestring licorice (2 inches)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour to cream mixture alternately with milk.
- Fill greased muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut off the top fourth of each cupcake; cut the slices in half. Spoon 1 tablespoon pie filling onto each cupcake. Place two halves upside down on top of filling for wings. Insert two pieces of licorice for antennae. Yield: 20 cupcakes.
Originally published as Butterfly Cupcakes in Country Woman May/June 1997, p28
Reviews forButterfly Cupcakes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2014
"These would be great at a baby shower or Easter brunch."