Buttercup Squash Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- CRUMB MIXTURE:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed cooked buttercup squash
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot water
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in squash and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spoon half into a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- Spread applesauce over batter. Sprinkle with half of the crumb mixture. Spoon remaining batter evenly over crumb mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough water to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 351 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 3, 2017
I used apple butter instead of applesauce and it turned out delicious. Perfect fall, winter comfort food!
Nov 2, 2016
What is Buttercup squash?? I'm familiar with Butternut, but not Buttercup.
Aug 17, 2015
Mar 4, 2015
I prepared this cake for the first time since the cooking challenge this week was for winter squash. I DID make my usual recipe adjustments and this recipe was among the recipes I'd adjusted! With the crumb mixture, I omitted the oats! For me, this worked out well-especially since it was a squash coffee cake, I figured with just a regular crumb topping, folks would go for that! Cake: I used 1/2 cup margarine, rather than butter-flavored shortening! I also used: 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange for flavor! I'd used 1 tsp. each of baking soda and salt instead of 1/2 tsp.! I'd kept the baking powder and flour the same! I also used 1/4 tsp. EACH of ground nutmeg, ginger and ground cloves! For the squash, I'd cooked a 12-oz. package of frozen squash in our microwave oven as package directed and measured it out when it was finished with the prescribed time. I got exactly 1 cup! I added the applesauce along with the sifted dry ingredients to batter after adding squash and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat 5 minutes. I'd creamed the sugar and butter until light and fluffy and then added the eggs, beating 5 minutes each on medium speed. I'd then blended in squash and vanilla, beating 5 minutes on medium speed. I did grease and flour a 9" springform pan, spread 1/2 the batter into prepared pan, then sprinkled with 1/2 of the crumb mixture. I then spooned rest of batter evenly over crumb mixture and topped with remaining crumb mixture.I baked 50 minutes at 350o F. I had placed the cake pan on a baking sheet, with bottom wrapped in aluminum foil so the bottom would not leak! Taste of Home gave this very helpful tip! I did cool in pan 10 minutes, then carefully removed sides, turned cake over and eased the bottom of pan off of the cake. I then turned cake right-side up to cool completely.I purposely included applesauce IN the batter, rather than spreading over cake batter!I also left the cake UNGLAZED! Thank you for this recipe! delowenstein
Oct 4, 2011
The family loved this moist coffee cake! For the cake I used 1/4c. shortening & 1/4 c. butter, 1 egg & 1/4 c. egg substitute, 1/4t. salt.
Sep 10, 2011
i can peaches so instead of apple sauce iused mashed peashes. it was great
Oct 15, 2010
I didn't have a springform pan so instead I baked it in 3 round cake pans, it tastes delicious but it turned out dry. I'm not sure yet it it was the recipe or baking it in 3 pans that made it dry, but it will need some adjustments for me to make it again.
Aug 14, 2010
This was fantastic. A great way to use up squash from the garden.
Jul 5, 2010
Used butternut squash out of the garden - good cake - a little too much sugar topping.
May 12, 2010
Great cake. Used apple butter istead of applesauce. Don't really use instant oats but found a packet of cinnamon spice instant so scooped the oats out of it and used. Came out SO GOOD!