VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, heated to lukewarm
- Chopped nuts for garnish
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in milk; set aside. Combine flour, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat the egg yolks into the cream; add to the flour mixture along with the yeast mixture. Blend well and form into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; place on a lightly floured surface and divide into six balls. Using hands, roll each ball into a 24-in. rope. On a greased baking sheet, twist two ropes together, then shape into a 6- to 8-in. ring. Pinch ends together and sprinkle with nuts. Repeat with remaining two rings. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rings. Yield: 3 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Butter Rings in Country Extra November 1991, p47