Butter Pecan Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2-2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place pecans and 1/4 cup butter in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1-1/3 cups of toasted pecans.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining toasted pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 814 calories, 42g fat (19g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (86g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 13, 2019
I see a lot ppl complaining about the lack of flavor. I have a Similar recipe that I made myself that always gets rave reviews. I use almond flavoring as opposed to vanilla and I also use a cream cheese frosting w a touch of almond flavor. I toast my pecans I BUTTER on the stove top. Lightly just to get the flavor released. Always delicious.
Oct 13, 2019
I thought this cake was better than I expected. I made a half recipe and used Half-and-Half instead of whole milk (it was all I had). I toasted my pecans in an 8" X 8" glass pan for 15 minutes while I assembled the cake. Once out of the oven, I added my pecans and poured the batter into the same glass pan. Perhaps because I used Half-and-Half, my bake time became 45 minutes. I didn't make the frosting; the cake was sweet enough.
Nov 17, 2018
Delicious cake recipe! As other reviewers suggested, I cut the icing recipe in half. I would probably replace some of the confectioners sugar with brown sugar next time to deepen the flavor a tad.
Feb 11, 2018
I made the cake just like the recipe but it turned out to tuff it wasn't flakey at all . Idk what happened. I used cake flour and fresh ingredients idk but it tasted good
Nov 16, 2017
Very sweet dessert. The pecans definitely take less than 20 minutes to toast. I only used 7 cups of confectioners' sugar in the frosting and it seemed to be fine, really sweet, but spread really nicely.
Aug 27, 2017
Very boring cake. Doesn't taste like much. Honestly this needs either a cream cheese frosting or some spices in the cake batter (cinnamon/nutmeg).It basically tastes like a plain vanilla cake covered in pecans. And I don't think it's the recipe. I looked a quite a few and they are all similar.
Dec 30, 2016
This is a good cake; however, I don't think it is worth it considering the cost of the ingredients.
Oct 10, 2016
Wow. This cake was amazing! Some reviewers noted that there was way too much frosting. After looking at the ingredients (I normally use half that amount of butter and powdered sugar to frost a 2-layer cake), I decided to make 2/3 of the frosting recipe. I'm a frosting lover, so I piled it on, and I still had leftover frosting. I agree that you could half the frosting recipe and be just fine. Anyway, everyone loved this cake! One of my friends called it a "pecan sandie in cake form." I'll definitely make this one again.
Nov 29, 2015
Oct 23, 2015
I followed the recipe exactly and floured and greased pans and the cake stuck to bottom of the pan! I've baked many layrr cakes and never had this issue. I was making it for family reunion but now it's useless and I'll never make this again. Total waster of time and ingredients