As a little girl, I was fascinated by the way Grandmother prepared these cookies. They came from logs that she took out of the "icebox"! Now when I make these simple but delicious old-fashioned cookies, I'm reminded of those memories. —Lisa Varner, El Paso, Texas
Recommended: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 10-in. long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Butter Pecan Icebox Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017