An active mother of four young sons, Elane Hefner of Elida, Ohio, relies on recipes that deep entertaining simple. "This cake roll can be chilling in the freezer long before guests arrive," she says. "Try varying the flavor of the ice cream to suit different tastes."
Recommended: 70 Sweet & Savory Pecan Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 quarts butter pecan ice cream, softened
- Confectioners' sugar and pecan halves, optional
- Line a greased 15x10 x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine the flour baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake is lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes; turn onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread with ice cream to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again; cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and decorate with pecans before serving if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Butter Pecan Ice Cream Roll in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p52
Reviews forButter Pecan Ice Cream Roll
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 28, 2009
"This sounds scrumptous and I intend to try it. What kind of gluten free flour would work best for this? Thanks.Wanda (Hefner) Gonzales"