- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 package (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red and green paste or liquid food coloring, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Gradually add sugar, cream and extracts; beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes. If desired, divide dough into portions and knead in food coloring.
- Form into balls by teaspoonfuls; flatten into patties, or roll between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness and cut into desired shapes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews forButter Mints
"Made these & thought they were too sweet. I would recommend using less powdered sugar."
"Wonderful butter mints. I have been making these mints on and off for at least 10 years now. I love to use these in my Christmas goody tins. I put them in my cookie press and press them out in cute little shapes. So they are done in a snap. They are yummy. Try it, if you like butter mints, you will love these."
"I found this in a Taste of Home Holiday book in the store. Loved this recipe, made it for a Church dinner and got rave reviews about 4 years ago. Then, lost the book. I grieved for several years because I could not find the recipe anywhere. This year I found the website and decided to see if I could find the recipe here. YAY!! This recipe is worth the time and whips up so quickly. I don't use food coloring, I use a measuring tsp. to drop on sheet pan. They are the perfect shape and color. Thank you."