"It's nice to keep this crisp, golden mixture on hand to top pudding or pie filling over ice cream," reports field editor Ellen Benninger of Greenville, Pennsylvania. "I got this handy dessert idea from a neighbor."
Recommended: 25 Ways To Make Pumpkin Pie
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Vanilla ice cream
- Warmed apple pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add coconut and nuts. Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Top ice cream with apple pie filling; sprinkle with topping. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Butter-Crunch Topping in Taste of Home August/September 1999, p64