Crusty on the outside and tender on the inside, these buttery cornsticks go well with soups, stews and casseroles for a memorable lunch or supper. A cousin's recipe, it's not a favorite with three generations of our family.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking pan; heat in a 425° oven until melted. Tilt to coat bottom of pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in corn and milk. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10-12 times. Roll into a 10x8-in. rectangle, about 1/2 in. thick. Cut into 4x1-in. strips. Place in melted butter and turn to coat. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Butter Corn Sticks in Country Woman May/June 2005