Butter Almond Crunch
I always draw rave reviews for this buttery, melt-in-your-mouth candy. From the coconut bottom layer to the chocolate drizzled on top, it's a winner all year-round.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
MakesAbout 1-1/4 pounds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Spread coconut evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from heat. Stir in almonds. Pour over coconut. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candy; cool until firm. Remove from foil and break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 101 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 24, 2010
Easy to make & delicious. This was my first experience using a candy thermometer, so I was pleased that the recipe was not difficult. My only complaint is that the foil is somewhat difficult to remove from the candy.