Butter Almond Crunch
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
MakesAbout 1-1/4 pounds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Spread coconut evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from heat. Stir in almonds. Pour over coconut. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candy; cool until firm. Remove from foil and break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 101 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 24, 2010
Easy to make & delicious. This was my first experience using a candy thermometer, so I was pleased that the recipe was not difficult. My only complaint is that the foil is somewhat difficult to remove from the candy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.