Butter Almond Cookies
Tender and toasty, these buttery almond bites were a winner with our taste testers. —Jeanette Meidal, Savage, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 cups Quick Cookie Mix
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, 5 tablespoons butter and egg yolk until smooth. Add cookie mix and mix well.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 15-20 times or until smooth. Roll into a 12-in. square. Spread remaining butter to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Combine sugar and extract; sprinkle over half of the dough. Fold dough over sugar mixture; pinch edges to seal. Lightly beat egg white; brush over top of dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Cut widthwise with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices; cut each slice in half lengthwise. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 69 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Almond Butter Sticks in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.