- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut. Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins. Serve warm or cool to room temperature. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forBurst o' Lemon Muffins
"We love the refreshing taste of lemon and coconut here. Will fix these again!!"
"These were very tasty. I think I will try them without toasting the coconut next time. I love coconut, but toasted made it a bit overwhelming for me. I will make them again."
"These are very flavorful. I think they can also be served as a light dessert."
"These are a very delicious muffin. Love the addition of coconut. Will definitely make again."
"Amazing! Made exactly as directed, using vanilla yogurt. Beautiful silky crumb and nice slightly tart kick from the glaze. Will be making these often!"
"Omg I love these! So easy and so delicious. I hate coconut so I just omit it and use a simple syrup glaze with fresh lemon juice for a topping,. They are wonderful and I highly recommend"
"Delicious! easy but still seem special. I used a 6 oz. cup of coconut yogurt and a little milk so both together were 8 oz."
"Gloriously lemon-y. I would make again. I think I upped the lemon peel a bit; just kept grating till I had a nice pile!"
"This recipe is a weekend breakfast staple in my house and it is my favorite muffin recipe. I always use a 6 ounce lemon yougurt because I have never found an 8 ounce. I just add a little milk to make sure it's not too dry. I have never had a bad result. Absolutely love them!"