Burgundy Lamb Shanks
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 4 lamb shanks (about 20 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with the parsley, garlic, oregano and lemon peel.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine and bouillon. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour over lamb. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove lamb and keep warm. Strain cooking juices and skim fat. In a small saucepan, bring juices to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Serve with lamb.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 525 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 54g protein.
Apr 3, 2017
Excellent Recipe. Served it for company. They loved it! And it was so easy! The broth left after cooking was delicious. I did have to skim off lots of lamb fat but the taste was delicious.
Feb 6, 2016
I used this recipe as inspiration, but it was beef shanks I had, not lamb, and I cooked it 50 minutes in the pressure cooker (with natural pressure release taking 30 additional minutes). After reducing the sauce by half on the stove, I served the meat and sauce with egg noodles. Delicious!