- 4 lamb shanks (about 20 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic, oregano and lemon peel.
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion and carrot in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine or broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour over lamb. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove lamb and keep warm. Strain cooking juices and skim fat. In a small saucepan, bring juices to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Serve with lamb. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBurgundy Lamb Shanks
"Excellent Recipe. Served it for company. They loved it! And it was so easy! The broth left after cooking was delicious. I did have to skim off lots of lamb fat but the taste was delicious."
"I used this recipe as inspiration, but it was beef shanks I had, not lamb, and I cooked it 50 minutes in the pressure cooker (with natural pressure release taking 30 additional minutes). After reducing the sauce by half on the stove, I served the meat and sauce with egg noodles. Delicious!"