- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrots, green pepper, celery and parsley in oil until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak bread in water; squeeze dry and crumble into a large bowl. Add the eggs, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Broil or pan-fry until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rolls. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBurgers with Garden Sauce
"This sauce is delicious and a delightfully different way to dress a hamburger. I usually don't add the burger patties to the sauce itself but rather let everyone spoon the sauce onto their own burger. I do that because of picky eaters, but personally I think the patties added to the sauce, just as the recipe directs, are better."