Burgers for a Bunch
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup hamburger relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Additional milk
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potato flakes, egg, ketchup, relish and mustard; set aside.
- For crust, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Stir in 1/4 cup potato flakes; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cream of tartar and baking soda and remaining potato flakes. Cut in remaining butter; add milk and mayonnaise. Blend until a soft dough forms.
- Divide in half. On a floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 10-in. circle. Place in a 9-in. pie plate. Spread with meat filling; sprinkle with cheese. Roll out remaining dough and place on top of filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with reserved buttered potato mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 464 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 5, 2010
I have been making this recipe since 1973 and just love it! I misplaced the recipe I was given in the 70's and decided to "google" the recipe, and there to my surprise, it was!! So glad that I found it. It is a very simple recipe, but everyone seems to like it.Thanks to Google for directing me to Taste of Home!Karen DavisChula Vista, Ca
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.