Please romance submitter's preference for fresh (or smoked fresh) mozzarella cheese. (RE changed for readers' convenience.) Reader also likes red and yellow plum tomatoes. ME: Call for 6 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese on Internet grocery list.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 5 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups chopped fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 slices red onion, separated into rings
- Remove stems from mushrooms and set aside. Place four mushroom caps on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until tender; keep warm.
- Finely chop mushroom stems and remaining mushroom cap; place in a large bowl. Add the chopped onion, red pepper, shredded cheese, tomato paste, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper and remaining salt. Crumble turkey over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into four patties. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and meat juices run clear.
- Place 1/2 cup arugula on each mushroom cap; top with a turkey patty and a cheese slice. Broil for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Top with tomato and onion slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 347 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 809mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Cacciatorre Burgers on Portobello in Light & Tasty June/July 2007
Aug 2, 2014
I enjoyed this dish. It was pretty easy to make and it was a lot of food! You get your protein and lots of veggies in just one dish. I also had a good flavor with the Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. I would love to have this again.