Burgers and Veggies
My husband taught me how to make these burger steaks using his mother's recipe. I also like to make them for family gatherings because they're so easy.—Bonnie Taylor, Hohenwald, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 8 tomato slices
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 parsley sprigs
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties. In a large nonstick skillet, bring water to a simmer. Using a spatula, lower patties into simmering water; cover and cook for 8 minutes. Turn patties over; top with steak sauce. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Remove patties and keep warm.
- Add onion and green pepper to the skillet; cover and cook over medium heat until tender. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetables over patties; garnish with tomato, lettuce and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Burgers and Veggies in Country Woman May/June 2004
Jun 9, 2010
burgers were light and flavorful. i couldn't bring myself to boil meat so i cooked them on a rack at 350 for six minutes on each side. served the veggies fresh, not cooked. delicious!