- 1 package (14 ounces) banana quick bread and muffin mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 12 large yellow gumdrops
- 1/2 cup chocolate frosting
- 12 semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 12 large white gumdrops
- Black shoestring licorice, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, oil and eggs. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla frosting and food coloring. Frost cupcakes. Cut yellow gumdrops in half widthwise. Use the rounded tops for heads. Flatten remaining portions into ovals for bodies. Place one head and one body on each cupcake.
- Place chocolate frosting in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of the bag. Pipe stripes on gumdrop bodies to resemble a bumblebee. For the stinger, place one chocolate chip at the end of body with pointed end facing out. Pipe two eyes with chocolate frosting or position two mini chocolate chips in front of head for eyes. Cut white gumdrops in half lengthwise; position next to bodies for wings. Insert two licorice pieces for antennae. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forBumblebee Banana Cupcakes
"I made these for my church youth group wind-up. Ok, my review may not totally apply since I used the cake from the chocolate Cupcake recipe also on this site which turned out GREAT. But the bee was so cute. I did use gum drops for the head and abdomen, but for the wings, I cut marshmallows in quarters crosswise. They are much easier to work with and stick on the icing. Just a tip, put a bit of cooking oil on your kitchen scissors so the marshmallow doesn't stick. The kids loved them and noted the chocolate chip stinger which they liked. Thanks!!"
"Just the look of these amazing muffins/cupcakes light up everyones face!!! Especially the adults. Made these for a work barbeque and everyone was amazed!"
"very cute for little kids"