Bulgur Turkey Manicotti Recipe
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 14 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Combine bulgur and boiling water; let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Drain; squeeze dry.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble turkey over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings, cottage cheese and bulgur.
- 3. Spoon into uncooked manicotti shells. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Mix pasta sauce and tomato sauce; pour over top.
- 4. Bake, covered, until bubbly and shells are tender, about 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
2 manicotti: 346 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Bulgur Turkey Manicotti
"Made this last night and my husband absolutely loved it! I will be making this on a regular basis."
"Love this recipe. I use a plastic freezer bag , spoon in the filling, snip a corner of the bag the size of the noodle opening and it makes quick work of the filling job! I also add a thawed & drained 10oz. pkg. of spinach to the cheese mixture to provide more nutrition and texture."
"Have enjoyed this recipe for quite a while now as it was in one of the earlier editions. It is a healthy comfort food."
"Very easy and tasty!!!"