Bulgur Salad in Lemon Baskets
Guest will "ooh" and "aah" at these fancy fruit bowls...and rave when they taste the mouthwatering veggie medley.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing
- 2/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/3 cups diced seeded tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 medium lemons
- Place bulgur in a bowl. Stir in water; cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until moist of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry. Stir in the tomatoes, onions, cucumber and parsley. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper; shake well. Pour over bulgur mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate.
- Referring to Fig. 1 at top right, score a 1/2-in.-wide strip around top of lemons for basket handles. Score peel from base of handle on one side to opposite side. Cut along lines with a sharp knife. Remove peel. Repeat on other side. Using a sharp knife and spoon, scoop out pulp under handle and inside basket. Fill with salad.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 66 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Bulgur Salad in Lemon Baskets in Crafting Traditions May/June 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.