- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1 cup chocolate-covered raisins
- In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the chow mein noodles, cashews and peanuts; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and syrup is bubbly, stirring frequently. Stir in baking soda; microwave 20 seconds longer or until mixture begins to foam.
- Carefully pour over chow mein noodle mixture; stir to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Spread on waxed paper; cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Place snack mix in a large bowl. Add candy corn and raisins; gently toss. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 cups.
Reviews forBuggy Snack Mix
"My students made this in class as a treat while reading the book, Hoot, as burrowing owls are helpful in eating insects or bugs like beetles, crickets and grasshoppers. It was easy to make with some adult assistance. We substituted another cup of peanuts for the cashews with good results. Definitely will make this again!"