"This chilled rice and ham salad goes well with barbecue dinners," suggests Josie Varro of Coquitlam, British Columbia. "The green pepper, radishes and cucumber add color and crunch while complementing the herbed vinaigrette."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cool to room temperature. For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, beans, peas, ham, radishes, green pepper, cucumber, onions and parsley. Just before serving, add dressing and toss to coat. Top with tomatoes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Buffet Rice Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p37