Buffalo Shrimp Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gouda or Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 8 ingredients; stir in shredded cheeses and macaroni. Cook, covered, on low 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until macaroni is almost tender.
- Stir in shrimp and blue cheese; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes longer or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in chives, parsley and, if desired, additional hot sauce.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 551 calories, 34g fat (20g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 1269mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
May 5, 2019
Followed recipe exactly as written. Turned out clumpy without a buffalo sauce flavor. Won't use instantpot next time.
Dec 22, 2018
This was easy to make, and tasty but the macaroni was a little mushy. I didn't cook it the entire 3.5 hours.
Jun 10, 2018
This was very good. The recipe was very easy and quick to put together. Perfect for a quick busy weeknight dinner. I did have to add about 1/4 cup of extra milk to keep the noodles from burning. I also added 1/4 tsp. Of Cajun Seasoning.