Buenos Dias Breakfast
I love the way the tortilla strips puff up when this is baked. It's a protein-rich, no-fuss recipe that everyone in my family enjoys, even the meat-lovers. —Barbara Burge, Los Gatos, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine salsa and beans. Arrange a third of the tortilla strips in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Layer with a third of the cheese and half of the salsa mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortilla strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, sour cream, onions and salt; pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Buenos Dias Breakfast in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.