- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni. Add to the cheese mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBudget Macaroni and Cheese
"awful, sticky, tasted like paste"
"We made this for Thanksgiving (just the 2 of us). It was good. I definitely think the flavor should be kicked up a notch when making it again as it did taste a little too much like flour. :)"
"I added extra 1/2 cup of pepper cheese and kicked the flavor up a bit. Also put it under the broiler for a few minutes for a little extra crunch."
"Good and easy to make."
"After making this recipe we tasted too much flour and not enough seasonings and cheese."
"Nothing special. More like a box recipie."
"I made this recipe for my teen son and I for dinner tonight, and it was delicious."
"Just made this to bring for a cookout. It turned out delicious as is but to give it a little more of a kick I added some sour cream, paprika, and ground mustard. I also topped it with extra cheddar cheese!"
"I made this recipe as written. The end result was not to my liking. It was creamy but tasted too much like flour. It was edible but dull and not worth the calories. I won't make it again."