I was short on time, but wanted to make an elegant dinner for my husband and me. That night, we ate this simple pasta starring spicy sausage and our homegrown kale. —Angela Lemoine, Howell, New Jersery
Featured In: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) bucatini pasta or fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound regular or spicy bulk Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale (about 5 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, decreasing time by 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water. Toss pasta with 2 teaspoons oil.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking sausage into large crumbles. Add garlic and remaining oil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in kale, salt and pepper; cook, covered, over medium-low heat until kale is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and reserved pasta water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until pasta is al dente and liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bucatini with Sausage & Kale in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017