Bubbly & Golden Mexican Beef Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3-1/3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is evaporated. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish; layer with salsa, corn and cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk just until blended; drop by tablespoonfuls over cheese (dish will be full). Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 646 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1877mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 25, 2018
A bit on the bland side as written and skimpy sized portions, we had this for dinner not as an hors d'oeuvre that's why the 4 stars, However easy enough to customize to your own taste. I made this in a deep dish 9x12 instead a 7x11 and increased the ground beef to 2 lbs, added a 15 oz can of corn instead of the little can, a 15 oz can of pinto beans, 3 minced serrano peppers, 1 lg can of small black olives, 1/2 cup of chopped onion and 3 cloves of garlic run through a rasp. Cheese I don't measure because you just can never have too much of it. There was no need to increase the biscuit mix as it made plenty but I did use whole milk because low or non fat dairy is never in our house. Since we had just this and no salad the 2 of us had it for 3 nights total.
Jul 24, 2017
Strange name, isn't cobbler a fruit filled dish?
Jul 8, 2017
This Mexican cobbler is different, but tasty!! I'll be fixing this again!!
Mar 5, 2016
Very yummy but a whole days worth of sodium in only one serving.
Mar 5, 2016
Haven't made it, just wanted to respond to billiebeaver42. At the bottom of the recipe it does list the calorie count per serving...lots!
Jan 29, 2015
I have made this recipe several times. I used frozen corn not canned and substituted sweet cornbread as a topping instead of the biscuit mix!
Apr 28, 2014
Very tasty! I had to improvise a little, all I had was a 13 by 9 baking dish and needed to add more biscuit mix, it layered pretty thin with the larger dish but was still very good. I will try this again and add the green chilies suggested below
Jan 24, 2014
Good - not great.
Dec 5, 2013
We likes this, but next time will add black beans and olives to it.
Jun 4, 2013
Ok, so 2 out of 4 in this family liked it. The ones that didn't like it said too much biscuit (even after I cut the recipe) which made it dry. I did drain the salsa (it was chunky kind) since I read a lot of reviews that said it was too runny.