Brussels Sprouts with Apple
To dress up plain brussels sprouts, Travis Flack of Seminole, Florida adds apple, bacon and a little fresh thyme to steamed sprouts then simmers for a tasty accompaniment to almost any meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium red apple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Remove bacon to paper towels. Add the apple, thyme and brussels sprouts to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 126 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Brussel Sprouts with Apples and Thyme in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005