Brussels Sprouts Supreme
A zippy cheese sauce is the perfect accompaniment for the bold flavor of brussels sprouts. Even those who don't care for this vegetable may enjoy it served this way. Plus, it looks so appealing on the table. -Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Cut an X in the core of each brussels sprout. Place brussels sprouts, celery and a small amount of water in a large saucepan; cover and cook for 8-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, salt and cayenne if desired; stir until cheese is melted. Drain brussels sprouts and celery; top with cheese sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 135 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts Supreme in Taste of Home February/March 2000