A zippy cheese sauce is the perfect accompaniment for the bold flavor of brussels sprouts. Even those who don't care for this vegetable may enjoy it served this way. Plus, it looks so appealing on the table. -Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Recommended: The 13×9 Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup process American cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Place brussels sprouts, celery and a small amount of water in a saucepan; cover and cook for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, salt and cayenne if desired; stir until cheese is melted. Drain sprouts and celery; top with cheese sauce. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts Supreme in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p39