Brussels Sprouts in Wine Sauce
Of all my favorite Christmas side dishes, this one stands above the rest. The wine sauce adds a lovely, rich flavor that makes every bite divine.—Stella Sargent, Alexandria, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Place brussels sprouts and a small amount of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir; microwave 1-2 minutes longer or until partially cooked. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Combine cream and wine. Gradually whisk into flour mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the onions, chopped almonds, parsley and reserved brussels sprouts.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and brussels sprouts are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 241 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Onions and Sprouts in Wine Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Apr 17, 2012
The jared onions were too over powering. Replace them with quartered onions or fresh pearl onions and it tastes a lot better. I also added cubed ham to make it a meal.