Brussels Sprouts in Wine Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Place brussels sprouts and a small amount of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir; microwave 1-2 minutes longer or until partially cooked. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Combine cream and wine. Gradually whisk into flour mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the onions, chopped almonds, parsley and reserved brussels sprouts.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and brussels sprouts are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 241 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 17, 2012
The jared onions were too over powering. Replace them with quartered onions or fresh pearl onions and it tastes a lot better. I also added cubed ham to make it a meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.