“This light, flavorful and inexpensive risotto makes a surprising addition to a traditional brunch menu,” writes Jennifer Dines of Brighton, Massachusetts. “It's gotten lots of compliments from my friends,” she adds.
Recommended: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the rice, garlic and pepper in oil for 2-3 minutes. Return sausage to skillet. Carefully stir in 1 cup heated broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. Total cooking time is about 20 minutes. Add tomato and heat through. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Brunch Risotto in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p35