Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) baking cocoa
- 2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2-1/2 cups Brownie Mix
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Store in a large airtight container in cupboard. Keeps 10-12 weeks. Yield: about 17 cups of mix.
- To prepare brownies: In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Beat with spoon until smooth. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until top tests done. Cut into squares while still warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 237 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 8, 2013
Ok, I haven't made these yet, but c'mon! 2 1/2 cups dry mix, 2 eggs, and a teaspoon of vanilla? If you've ever baked anything you know you would need more liquid! Someone needs to revise this!
Oct 2, 2013
Needs liquid- 1- 2 c. Milk
Aug 29, 2011
I've made this mix several times and plan to keep making it. It is awesome. I like to add a hand-full of chocolate chips and slightly chopped nuts in the individual batches. It's a must try and great to have on hand for a quick dessert.
Jun 3, 2011
HAVEN'T MADE THEM YET AND THESE SOUND VERY GOOD, BUT I WOULD SUBSTITUTE SPLENDA FOR THE SUGAR.