Brownie Meringue Pie
In Union Grove, Wisconsin, Julie Moyer stirs chocolate cookie crumbs and chopped nuts into a meringue mixture to create this rich dessert. It's sweetly priced at a mere 22¢ a wedge.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup crushed chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Gently fold in the wafer crumbs and nuts. Spread into a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 300° for 30-40 minutes or until the top appears dry and is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In another bowl, beat the whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over the pie. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Originally published as Brownie Meringue Pie in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.