Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- 2. Set aside 2 tablespoons browned butter for filling. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and remaining browned butter until smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Whisk flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a small heavy saucepan, bring syrup to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat reserved browned butter until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup mixture until smooth.
- 5. Spread 1 teaspoon filling over the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 sandwich cookie: 111 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz
"The cookies tasted much better in the morning with coffee. My son says he really like them and would like to make them again."