- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons browned butter for filling. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and remaining browned butter until smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring syrup to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat reserved browned butter until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup mixture until smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon filling over the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz in Country Woman December/January 2008, p29
Reviews for Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2013
"The cookies tasted much better in the morning with coffee. My son says he really like them and would like to make them again."