Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz
A heavenly sweet maple filling makes these scrumptious spritz cookies a little different. You can count on them to come out buttery and tender. They're almost too pretty to eat.— Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons browned butter for filling. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and remaining browned butter until smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Whisk flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring syrup to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat reserved browned butter until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup mixture until smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon filling over the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 111 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Brown Butter Maple Spritz in Country Woman December/January 2008