How do you make good old-fashioned apple pie even better? Enhance the crust with shredded cheddar cheese and stir browned butter into the filling. Wonderful! —Kathryn Conrad, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons semolina flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded aged sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 to 12 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 large Honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place flours and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add cheese; pulse 1-2 times. Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl. Gradually add ice water to flour mixture tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For filling, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Stir in apples and sugars; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until apples are almost tender. Uncover; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour. Transfer apple mixture to a large bowl; refrigerate until cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Add filling to pastry. Roll remaining dough to a 12-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Place wedges over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Browned Butter Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p131