Brown Sugar Shortbread Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Pat into a 1/3-in.-thick rectangle measuring 11 in. x 8 in.
- 2. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 145 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Brown Sugar Shortbread
"Yum Yum! After letting them cool for a few minutes, eat some while still warm. Even Walkers Shortbread can't do that!"
"This was a very tasty recipe. Everyone who tried them loved them. So simple too!"
"I have made these often and they are always a big hit. It is very important not to over kneed. The cookies will get dry and tasteless."
"Brown Sugar ShortbreadI've made this recipe for years and it's always a hit. I usually add some vanilla extract before mixing flour. A little Sea salt with the flour mixture is good if using unsalted butter (best). High quality ingredients make a difference too...use a low moisture butter like Plugra or Straus Organic, King Arthur Flour, and definitely mix flour in gradually. it really makes a difference."
"With a recipe like this, which has only a few ingredients, the quality of those ingredients will make or break your results. Use a really good brown sugar - muscovado is even better. I also used Kerrygold butter and rolled them out to about 1/3" thick and cut them out, then sprinkled with raw sugar. They were amazing."
"Tastes great and easy to make"
"Thanks for having this shortbread recipie on line. It is the same one my mother and grandmother made. They were from Manitoba also. And it makes the best short"
"Pretty bland. For all the butter and brown sugar it should have more flavor, I think. Would not make it again. (This may be okay as a cookie to go with ice cream but I wouldn't waste the calories on them."
"I love these cookies just the way they are!! They are so easy and they melt in your mouth. I will make them again and again and again!!!"