- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Pat into a 1/3-in.-thick rectangle measuring 11 in. x 8 in.
- Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Brown Sugar Shortbread
"This was a very tasty recipe. Everyone who tried them loved them. So simple too!"
"I have made these often and they are always a big hit. It is very important not to over kneed. The cookies will get dry and tasteless."
"Brown Sugar ShortbreadI've made this recipe for years and it's always a hit. I usually add some vanilla extract before mixing flour. A little Sea salt with the flour mixture is good if using unsalted butter (best). High quality ingredients make a difference too...use a low moisture butter like Plugra or Straus Organic, King Arthur Flour, and definitely mix flour in gradually. it really makes a difference."
"With a recipe like this, which has only a few ingredients, the quality of those ingredients will make or break your results. Use a really good brown sugar - muscovado is even better. I also used Kerrygold butter and rolled them out to about 1/3" thick and cut them out, then sprinkled with raw sugar. They were amazing."
"Tastes great and easy to make"