Brown Sugar Pecan Cake
My great-aunt was famous in our family for her cooking. She lived in Kentucky and made a cake like this one many times during my childhood. I found a similar recipe years later, changing it a bit to use what I had on hand. The added crunch of the pecans gives it a little southern flair that she would have loved. —Lisa Varner, El Paso, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- Vanilla ice cream and butterscotch ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 70-80 minutes. Cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, serve with ice cream and drizzle with topping.