My great-aunt was famous in our family for her cooking. She lived in Kentucky and made a cake like this one many times during my childhood. I found a similar recipe years later, but changed it a bit to use what I had on hand. The added crunch of the pecans give it a little southern flair that she would have loved. —Lisa Varner, El Paso, Texas
Recommended: 70 Sweet & Savory Pecan Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- Vanilla ice cream and butterscotch ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, serve with ice cream and drizzle with topping. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Pecan Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p98